I've gotten my keyboard to type it, but ony in text editors like notepad, wordpad, word (I assume, I use openoffice). Dreamweaver doesn't know what to do with it. Attempting to put a .txt file with russian in it and view it in a browser cuases strange things to happen. I get chars but different ones, and a different number of them.
All of the google info I got was about displaying the text properly, presupposing that it got up properly. I need to know how to put it on the server properly.
Could anyone help me by making a short list of steps to take to get Russian to display properly in a client's browser?
I caution you to be wary about "windows-only" solutions...there's a lot of other technology out there. One thing you can be relatively sure of - if the target audience reads Russian, then THEIR browsers will have access to the correct fonts, and know what to do with Russian/Cyrillic charsets.
There were many issues with encoding back in the day. Now it's pretty much resolved by everyone being able to understand Windows encoding.
These are the encoding of Cyrillic text that you can find on different machines:
windows-1251 (MS Windows)
KOI8-R (*nix - Russian)
KOI8-U (*nix - Ukrainian)
Major problems were always cause by Windows vs. KOI8. Since internet was mainly started by *nix users, most of the texts were written in KOI8. When it was picked up by users, who mostly used MS Windows based systems they wrote in 1251 encoding.
There were many solutions.
One of the most famous ones was to have Windows and KOI versions of the site available with a switch on a splash page where a user can select which encoding to view the text in.
Second solution came in later, when browsers were able to switch encoding. Then creators included meta tags specifying which encoding the site is in. Or sent encoding specific HTTP headers.
Content-type: text/html; charset=KOI8-R
There was also a Russian version of apache that used different ports for different encodings and it would convert pages on the fly.