| 5:58 pm on Mar 4, 2006 (gmt 0)|
The? is inserted when the browser doesn't recognize a character. Most likely you have set a lang or charset attribute incorrectly.
Unless you are using windows os, in which case there can be some weird font setting from Office or anywhere that is overriding the browser.
Also check your doctype- avoid <!xml at the top of the page if you want IE to use as much css as it can.
| 7:51 pm on Mar 4, 2006 (gmt 0)|
The charset is a likely candidate.
If you can't figure it out :-
Create a minimal page. Include the doctype and charset but omit from the <head> all the keywords, descriptions, and other site/page specific stuff. Add a couple of lines of <body> text including all the characters that you know aren't displayed correctly.
Finally, post the source code of the page here.
| 4:03 am on Mar 5, 2006 (gmt 0)|
This is really weird. This only occurs on my home page, every page on my site has the exact same information contained in the head (with the exception of title, keywords & description) but the question marks do not appear, the appropriate ' does.
Could there be anything in my new CSS or some erroneous HTML tag somewhere causing this?
I will continue to comb through the HTML
| 9:16 am on Mar 5, 2006 (gmt 0)|
You need to find out what charset is being defined on the page with a problem. Are you using a charset meta tag? If yes, check the syntax - it should read something like:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
Where ISO-8859-1 should be replaced by your charset if you are using a non-English charset or UTF-8.
You can also check the charset seen by the browser: in Firefox you can press Ctrl + I and it will be listed under "Encoding", in IE you can check the encoding in the top menu.
| 5:20 pm on Mar 5, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Also, try avoiding smart quotes and such ...
| 6:38 pm on Mar 5, 2006 (gmt 0)|
|This only occurs on my home page, every page on my site has the exact same information contained in the head (with the exception of title, keywords & description) |
Sounds like a typo, a missing closing quote or something like that. Validate the page.
| 7:11 pm on Mar 5, 2006 (gmt 0)|
hi all, thanks for comments suggestions.
Here is the text at the top of the page (without keywords etc)
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
* Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu- © Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at [dynamicdrive.com...] for full source code
I had mentioned i changed my site, which worked fine before. I added a java navigation menu and I noticed in the sample for this java menu the DOCTYPE is different. Could that be an issue.
Also, I have attempted to validate my HTML and errors are preventing online validation. Does anyone know of a useful HTML editor for idiots?
| 2:16 am on Mar 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
In case anybody reads this. I discovered the issue, I think!
here is the deal:
I was creating my content in a Word 2003 document and then pasting that content into the notpad where the HTML is.
For some reason, when I do this the apostrophies and quotes turn into question marks in the browser view. However, if type directly into the notepad the apostrophies and quotes appear as they should.
I am not sure why it happens, I just know it happens.
| 2:32 am on Mar 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Yes -- those punctuation marks are variously called "smart quotes" "curly quotes" "angled quotes" and so on. Microsoft Office is a mine field for copy/paste to html. Other problems can come from various odd dashes, apostrophes, etc.
When I start from a Word document source, I usually save it as a .txt file, close, and then re-open before I copy.
| 4:18 am on Mar 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
I'm surprised that no one has removed the urls you included in the page source!