One of my sites is listed in DMOZ with an old deprecated title (several years old). This site is now appearing on Google for this title, although it shouldn't and it could cause me some serious problems. I have tried to "Update Listing" on DMOZ almost two months ago. I can see the DMOZ page has been last edited a month later, but my entry has not been updated. I made a new update request several days ago, but there's no answer yet.
I know an option is to remove the main page of the site from Google, but I wouldn't like to take such drastic measures unless absolutely necessary.
My questions for people who know DMOZ better than me are:
1. How long does it usually take to perform a listing update?
2. Is there anything I can do to speed this up (contact someone, there doesn't seem to be such an option)?
3. I see this specific category doesn't seem to have an editor. Would it be OK for me to sign up as an editor even though my site is listed in it?
Updates are handled separately from site suggestions and are normally looked at quite quickly, but in my experience, editors only consider it a priority if the URL has changed (and the old URL is either no longer working or redirects to the new one.) If it's just a question of wanting different link text for search engine purposes or wanting more words in the description, update requests like those usually get ignored.
If the situation is somewhere in the middle--there is a typo or factual inaccuracy in the title or description, or a word is being used that may mislead surfers--it's a good idea to clearly explain exactly what the problem is in the form. If you just suggest replacing "Joe's Widgets" with "Best Widgetty Widgets by Joe! Buy now!" your suggestion is going to get junked, but if you explain that "widgetty widgets" are a significantly different product than plain old widgets, we may at least change it to "Joe's Widgetty Widgets." Or whatever. (-:
Many thanks for clarifying the process. It's an old deprecated title that needs to be updated, not the URL. The change is needed due to inaccuracy, not for search engines.
Since it looks like my second update request did not go through either, I will try to raise this issue over at resource zone. If you have a better suggestion on how to resolve the issue please let me know.