| 1:17 am on Feb 6, 2003 (gmt 0)|
What exactly are you referring to? The ODP is showing changes quickly at dmoz.org. Just today I became editor of the parent cat of one of my current cats. Within an hour this was showing at dmoz.org. Sites I added toad also are already showing.
| 1:34 am on Feb 6, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I am not sure if it is new or not because it has been a while since I last checked but we have lost 11 listings, and one my competitors about the same. So something seems to have changed in the past couple of months, (not sure why they were deleted as they were all perfectly valid).
I wonder if their submit button works now.
| 3:12 pm on Feb 6, 2003 (gmt 0)|
11 perfectly valid listings, huh?
| 3:13 pm on Feb 6, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Lets explain again, how delay times in the ODP are caused:
1) Normal directory sites update almost instantly. In times of high server load it can take some hours, I can remember it being two days in times of big trouble. Nothing to worry about, only a way to do some load balancing. Reason: Public pages are static HTML since questioning a database would to timeconsuming. So they have to be regenerated for changes to be visible.
2) The ODP-Search database has to be updated and is not feeding from "live" data. As you know (if you read [webmasterworld.com...] ) a new RDF dump has been generated to make the search a bit more up-to-date.
3) All major downstream data users, like Google, download the RDF dump and use it on their own servers. They depend on the same basics mentioned above.
| 12:10 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I don't understand how the ODP search index works. I can type in the exact three word title of my ODP listing and it doesn't come up in the results unless I type in a fourth word from the description.
| 12:12 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
dalguard yes they were perfectly valid.
My major competitor has some 40 or so listings and it used to be more.
| 6:40 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I just tested with some entries and was able to find all entries even with three words from the title. Are you sure you didnt mistype?
| 7:24 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Visit_Thailand, you might want to stickymail some of those URLs to one of the ODP editors who posts here, such as me. Any editor can trivially check and see what is what with the URL. While because of confidentiality of editor's notes if they were deleted we couldn't say why, but we could confirm or not if these URLs were deleted. It is possible these listings were moved to a new cat.
| 7:39 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
rfgdxm1 - Thank you that is a very kind offer and is appreciated.
I think I have worked out what it is though.
Quite a long time back I changed most pages on a site to .shtml from .htm
As everyting went so smoothly with the 301 redirects with the SE's etc I did nothing about the listings at dmoz, so I can only presume that this is what has happened (ie the old .htm's were removed and not replaced by there new .shtml even though the content was identical)
Must admit it is a little annoying as now for me at least the submit button does not work!
| 7:45 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I can't believe some editor was so clueless as to delete 11 different listings of yours just because of the redirect. Removing sites requires human intervention, and isn't done by a bot. I'd be interested in seeing a few of those URLs.
| 7:50 am on Feb 7, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Visit_Thailand, you can always post an inquiry at the resource-zone.com regarding the listings that have been moved/deleted. List the URL and category in your request and I'm sure you'll get an explanation. The listings may have been moved to other categories where the editor does not have permissions to edit, so it could be in the unreviewed queue there.
If they were deleted I'm sure they'll let you know why.