I have only 2 cents to offer here, but here they are:
1. Set up a link page only one click away from your index page. It can be a small "links" or "resources" link in your footer menu if you like.
2. Go to Google and type in "add url" (in parenthesis) and your primary keyword or key phrase like this:
"add url" widgets.
3. From the sites you find on the Google search, choose sites that are most relevant to yours and start trading links with them. Add their link to your new link page. (the one you created only one click from your index page.)
4. Follow up. If they don't add your link, contact them by email. Many sites will follow through and trade with you. Many won't. It will be hit or miss, but this process does work.
5. If your industry is one that includes brick and mortar establishments, call them and ask them for a link. Tell them you'll add a link to their web site in return. For instance, if you have a site like WidgetInfo.com, search the web for widget related stores that list their phone number.
6. Once you have links pointed at you from related sites, the spiders that visit their sites will see the link to you and come visit your site. Over time you'll get spidered. If you have rich content, keyworded well, with good inbound links, you'll begin to rank over time.
The system has been time tested by many, and it works. So don't get discouraged. And don't be lured away by sites that promise 100s or 1000s of links overnight. If you subscribe to a site like that, not only will the big engines be tipped off that they're bad links, but your poor email address will be history. You'll have to cash it in and get another for all the spam you'll receive.
I hope my 2 cents helps some.