OK, this is not a thread about the rel=nofollow so let's assume this problem has been taken care of. ;-)
If you could choose inbound-links "a la carte" what would you love most?
My preferences are based on general reasoning on what I believe could be considered "natural". Not more, not less.
1. Linkgiving Domain
- On-Topic better than Off-Topic but no problem with 50% of domains off-topic.
- Authority Domain if you know what it is and you can identify it, go for it.
2. Linkgiving page
- somesubpage.xyz better than index.xyz
- somesubpage.xyz fully integrated in site-navigation
- title contains "my keyword" or similar (bonus)
- link.xyz or links.xyz to be avoided
3. Position on page
- link embedded in text better than footer
- surrounding text is ontopic
- 60% "my keyword" the rest "domain.com" and other random kw-combinations
5. Time period
- number of inbound links growing slowly and constantly better than sudden short blast of new inbounds (20-30 new links per month, but every month better than 5k in one week and goodbye)
- single-inbound is gold
- semi-reciprocal is silver (A->B, B->C)
- full-reciprocal is better than it's reputation
- PR means less than ever
- Inbound-Links only from high PR-pages (5+) to be avoided