|Flash and Firefox|
object, embed, both?
Well, I'm sure everyone knows Firefox 1.5 came out.
The problem is, I have to add two Flash files to a page - in the past with Firefox 1.0.7, I recall using the <object> tag would work, and the <embed> tag would work with IE, so that seemed all good.
Now it doesn't seem to work in Firefox 1.5. Does anybody know what's the -proper- (if there is one) method to add Flash content?
That's about it really.
[edited by: encyclo at 5:29 pm (utc) on Dec. 2, 2005]
Are you sure that you have the flash plugin correctly installed in Firefox 1.5 (it may be absent if you have just done a fresh install)? If so, have you tried the Flash Satay method?
Hmm, I just installed the flash plugin again, and still no go :/ Even after installing it, the macromedia site still has no flash on the homepage :)
Any other ideas why flash wouldn't display? If it's a bug I really should let mozilla know :D
Go to Tools->Options->Downloads and click the View & Edit Actions button in the Download Actions section.
Make sure that the .swf file extension is defined as type Shockwave Flash Object and that it is to be opened with the Shockwave Flash plugin.
If on Windows, you should also find the plugin npswf32.dll located in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins
If not, you'll have a more specific problem to report, although Flash works fine on my FF/1.5 installation here, so this is not a widespread problem.
[edited by: jdMorgan at 2:55 am (utc) on Dec. 5, 2005]
Yep, both the dll file and the actions show what you've said... Hmm, I'll contact mozilla and see what htey know :)
Also, if in the past, you have ever installed an extension that can or does block Flash, then this may still be happening, unless you installed to a fresh profile.
the adblocker blocks stuff only from certain urls - like ad.tribalfusion.com :)
so I can't think of anything else
I think I've found out why -- the adblock extension I had was conflicting and not displaying any flash at all.
When FF 1.5 installed it checked for the list of incompatible extensions/themes, adblock was not one of them (and on [addons.mozilla.org...] the requirement accomodated for FF 1.5).
I've uninstalled adblock and reinstalled it, and now everything seems to work fine.
For anybody who experiences the same problems - try that and see.
Oh, and thank you encyclo and jdMorgan for all your help :)