my isp (the big uk one) has just changed all kinds of features to do with their service, and now i cannot get mail using the opera mail client. the smtp etc settings in opera are the same as outlook, but outlook has no trouble sending and recieving -opera gives bad authentication errors every time. it used to work fine.
anybody know of any reasons that could cause this?
Sorry I cannot help, but your problem may be somehow related to mine. My Opera mail client cannot fetch mail from my hosting company anymore. They suggested that I tried another client. I did so and Mozilla actually works though I sometimes have to change the settings back and forth a couple of times. When I use Opera it simply looks as if the mail client checks the accounts at my hosting company and finds nothing. Opera works fine with my ISP.
There is very much more to electronics than electronics engineers seem to be aware of! ;)
I wonder if this might have something to do with a change in firewall and/or proxy info at your ISP. If that's the case, they surely should be able to give you the correct info to add in to whatever mail client you use.
You might also post the problem to one of Opera's support forums - if it's a large enough problem no doubt someone will dig up the answer eventually!