It sounds like some program was installed that changed an important setting for Opera and Netscape. Here is a page with Opera connection issues [opera.com]. If you go through the various possibilities they list, you may uncover the problem.
Thanks for your help. Opera and NN are now finally connecting. The bad thing is I, I don't know why. I did uninstall a html validator but it harsly seems likely that that was the cause while that was installed for quite some time already. Will try and find out what was the exact cause.
Thanks again. Will certainly be frequewnting this site.
I ran into a guy once that thought NN and Opera would auto-dial and connect (which is a OS function, not a browser function). We showed him how to make a connection to the net without using IE and it's autodial function. That was all that wrong - he was waiting for nn/opera to dial the modem.