homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / Flash and Shockwave
Forum Library, Charter, Moderator: open

Flash and Shockwave Forum

can't find problem in Flash file
need help from anyone good with Flash

10+ Year Member

Msg#: 24 posted 3:34 pm on Jun 2, 2004 (gmt 0)

I have a Flash file that someone else created for me. I discovered, because my site's bandwidth was going crazy, that the movie was repeatedly calling a nonexistent file called site_title.txt. I got the source file from the contractor, and did find the reference to site_title.txt. It was in Scene 1, Layer 11: Frame 2:

loadVariablesNum("site_title.txt", 0);

I have removed this line of code, saved the file (simply did "Save As...") and put it back up.

But somehow my logs show that, for the one day I had it up, I again got hits to site_title.txt.

Does anybody know how I can look through the file to see if that file reference is somewhere else too? I have looked through the debugger's output, and all the Actions frame by frame. I'll be happy to email the source file to anyone that might be able to help.




10+ Year Member

Msg#: 24 posted 7:07 pm on Jun 2, 2004 (gmt 0)

There is a possibility that someone is returning to your site and the flash movie playing in their browser is actually cached on their hard drive. However, that doesn't answer you question.
Open the .fla file.
from the application menu:
select "Window" > "Movie Explorer" to open the movie explorer dialog box

In the "Movie Explorer" dialog:
select "show action scripts" and deselect everything else, this will give you a list of all action scripts in your file.


10+ Year Member

Msg#: 24 posted 8:07 pm on Jun 2, 2004 (gmt 0)

Thanks for the help!

This is what I see:

Frame 1

Frame 2

Frame 3
if (myText == "") {

Frame 4

I don't see anything about site_title.txt, obviously. Hmm.

I don't think it can be a caching problem, since I saved my revised version under a different filename.

Anybody, anybody?


10+ Year Member

Msg#: 24 posted 2:28 pm on Jun 3, 2004 (gmt 0)

You say that you simply did a "Save As".

If this is all you did you only saved the .fla or source file. You still need to compile or publish it to make an .swf (File->Publish or CRTL+F12). I guess be sure to check the properties of the .swf for the last modified date before you upload it to be sure the changes took effect.

Not sure if this is redundant, but you only have to upload the .swf and not the .fla to your server.

Hope this helps.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / Flash and Shockwave
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved