| 2:58 am on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Full time or part-time?
If full time, how about a forum site? Look for an industry with advertisers with deep pockets looking for targeted traffic. Some of the high traffic forums for a topic like "hosting" are getting $30 per 1,000 banner ad impressions.
Keep your ear to the ground for the next big thing, when you find it start a forum related to the topic. You donít even need to be that knowledgeable on the topic because you will find moderators willing to work for free to promote their obsession. The hard part is getting it started which will require lots of promotion, talking to yourself to get threads started etcÖ
If you become "the forum", you will be living in the lap of luxury. The best part is, after it takes off your customers and moderators do all the work while you cash the checks.
| 3:05 am on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
I totally agree to both points:
1. Keep your ear to the ground. Example: Today there was a article talking about powerpod (super ipod), immediately after reading that I registered some great powerpod domains. Too bad it was a hoax... but THOSE are the ideas you have to leap on, even if you might get burned.
I read slashdot/wired/cnn.com/WebmasterWorld religious every day looking for the next "thing".
2. Forum sites are awesome, but what is even better is when you make a industry website FROM a forum site. The forum provides you with the time and the inhouse (forum regulars) expertise and information to build a great traditional site.
| 3:17 am on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
To answer you guys, I will have at least 4 months of 12 hour days to work on it, more if needed.
I agree to the extent that a lot of forum sites are a good way to make money. But it sort of disobeys the rules of content content content I've been reading about. You may say the people will be adding content themselves, but will this count in terms of SEs? Also, I could not possibly think of a popular forum that could take off that hasn't already been thought of. It also seems like promoting one of hese is near impossible.
| 3:20 am on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Here are some ideas I have that is unlikely I'll ever get around to doing. Probably suck but maybe they'll be a starting point for something else.
1) A service like AdSense that takes affiliate urls from places like CJ and can be used in replacement of Google PSAs.
2) TownHall type forum sites. Basically use something like PHP Nuke and write a townhall type forum for lots of cities where people can gather and comment on what's going on. Use bills introduced by the local municipality as conversation starters.
3) A coupon site where people can enter in coupons and you share a percentage of the profit with them for finding the coupon.
Warning .. these things could already have been done or if they haven't it is because they are simply not worth doing.
| 3:43 am on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|1) A metasearch engine |
2) Attempt the greeting cards again, although this would be a hefty start up cost considering I would need to get tons of cards once again
3) A media site which shows TV commercials where people can comment on them etc. Not sure about the copywriting on this one though.
A search engine is to hard of a market, unless you have lots of $$$$$$$$.
all the internet providers have their own greeting cards now, so no need for that.
The 3 one sounds very boring............
A forum is a good ideal if every one didn't already have one on just about every subject.
The best market right now is porn and yes I said porn ( :) we all love naked women).
| 12:36 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|A search engine is to hard of a market, unless you have lots of $$$$$$$$. |
not true. Give me a 50 bucks plus $6 for the domain, and I'll buy a meta search script and start a meta search engine right away! its that easy.
However, A search engine is a different thing, unless you can offer me $500. :)
| 12:50 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
How about porn greeting cards?
| 1:01 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|How about porn greeting cards? |
How about a meta-search site, wich allows you to search for porn-movies you can sent as a card to people.
And when you found one you can post a message about what you think of it.
Don't forget to add a forum to the site as well.
I've got a fantastic idea! Only I'm not gonna tell you, because I'm gonna do it myself :) (sorry).
But remember that your idea doesn't have to be unique, you can surf over the net looking for a good idea and then adapt it a little and make your own site.
Do improve the idea then ofcourse :)
| 2:10 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Welcome to WebMasterWorld, hdpt00!
If you want to build a content site, the best thing is to pick a topic that interests you and/or you know a lot about. That way you can kick out a bunch of new content on a daily basis.
Obviously you want a topic that is searched for a lot, and one that's not already saturated by people like us;) I know this sounds really generic, but if you can't come up with "the next big thing", this is a good place to start at least. Plus if it's something that interests you, it won't seem so much like work!
I'm just about to launch the first of several of these types of sites, so I have no idea how much $ can be made this way, though.
| 2:19 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|3) A coupon site where people can enter in coupons and you share a percentage of the profit with them for finding the coupon. |
I know of a couple of such sites, so its definately been done.
| 8:29 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|not true. Give me a 50 bucks plus $6 for the domain, and I'll buy a meta search script and start a meta search engine right away! its that easy. |
Yeah you can start one, but it's not going to go very far. 50 dollars will get you very little visitors. You also need more money then that to index lots of pages.
| 11:40 pm on Apr 2, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Isn't a meta-search engine something that leverages already existing search engines?
| 12:32 am on Apr 3, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|You also need more money then that to index lots of pages. |
umm... I don't think meta search engine's have their own web spiders...
All you need to start a meta search engine is the software. The software can run on any hardware supporting its language, unlike a search engine which will require upto 3 servers etc.