homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Webmaster General
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: phranque

Webmaster General Forum

Who ya gonna call?
A competitor has hacked my site & disrupted my business-who do I turn to?

 4:36 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

I own an e-commerce b2b business. I sell widgets to businesses in bulk that are "embellished" with the customer's own information. Sometimes customers will want to see samples of these items in advance, and that's generally OK.

A competitor, who I used to be friendly with, did the following last night:

1) Posted my site as a FREEBIE site to about 6 popular bulletin boards
2) Hacked my vonage account and redirected calls to him
3) Hacked parts of my site to display his graphics and contact info

I've covered up all the holes, and fixed all the redirects, but the damage has been done.

Do I have any recourse? Do I call the cops? He's in a another city/state, which cops do I call? Or is this a civil thing. At the least he's guilty of "restraint of trade" but it may be more than that.

Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.



 6:39 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

Call the cops. Never tolerate things like this. This is a Federal offense.


 6:42 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

Contact the F.B.I.


 6:56 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

Figured this out a little while ago. My local cops are small time, and don't get the internet fraud thing.

Likewise, his little suburbian cops in another state are the same.

Thanks gang.


 7:20 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

You have to escalate these kinds of issues ... You can also contact vonage for reimbursement...


 7:28 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

FBI, his ISP (one he hacked into your site from), your ISP, Vonage, a lawyer, the list goes on. Save all logs and records.

And ask yourself how he hacked into both your server and your Vonage account.


 8:34 pm on Apr 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

At the very least, a lawyer. Sue the pants off this guy for loss of business, defamation of business, damages and anything else you can think of from a civil perspective.

A competent lawyer (probably not your small-town guy) will also advise on the criminal offences he's committed.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Webmaster General
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved