| 9:25 pm on Jan 26, 2009 (gmt 0)|
By concidence there was a story in our local paper last week about an old guy whose seven year old flat screen went on fire quite dramatically. He managed to escape with his wife but his house was gutted.
| 11:01 pm on Jan 26, 2009 (gmt 0)|
Now I don't feel so silly for doing a nightly off-site backup.
| 9:15 pm on Jan 27, 2009 (gmt 0)|
Reminds me of those news stories awhile back about laptops catching fire and billowing white smoke in the middle of conference centers...
| 9:30 pm on Jan 27, 2009 (gmt 0)|
|Watching my CRT TV (15 years old) the other day and I noticed smoke coming out of the back, along with an unpleasant smell of overheating electronic components. |
I have had this happen to me twice, once with a CRT computer monitor and once with a CRT television.
Not to sure if it would actaully burst into flames because like you I jumped up and unpluged it.
| 2:50 am on Jan 28, 2009 (gmt 0)|
I got one for you guys....
A $2.00 bag of dirt and mulch caused $28K in damage.
My gardening Shed spontaneously combusted.. seriously. A very small bag (less than two gallons) of potting spoil burst into flames because some water seeped into it during a rainstorm, then caught the rubbermaid little outdoor shed on fire melting it into a huge puck of plastic. Then to top it all off... it caught the grass in the backyard on fire which then burned underneath our pool filter, pump and heater melting all the wiring and pvc pipes caught the filter housing on fire and flamed up scorching our brick and smoke damaging the eves of the house. A $2.00 bag of dirt and mulch caused $28K in damage. The fire inspector said that the bag had probably been smoldering for days!
| 2:53 am on Jan 28, 2009 (gmt 0)|
How would a bad of soil catch fire when adding water? was it compost that started molding up and hence heating up when water got in?
| 2:23 pm on Jan 29, 2009 (gmt 0)|
hey, now is your chance to get that new 101 inch plasma you've been talking about...
| 2:33 pm on Jan 29, 2009 (gmt 0)|
>101 inch plasma
Yeah, but, I just need a room big enough for it, too.
Something more modest, like 37 inch.
| 2:40 pm on Jan 29, 2009 (gmt 0)|
Bewenched: Thats amazing
| 3:34 pm on Jan 29, 2009 (gmt 0)|
It used to be known as spontaneous combustion.
| 6:51 pm on Jan 29, 2009 (gmt 0)|
|Watching my CRT TV (15 years old) |
15 years old - must be one of those Steam-driven models that were popular back then.