What to do in Singapore?
1. Bukit Timah Nature Reserve - stick to the paths or go on a trail. Experience the rain forest in "civilisation". At the very least you should see monkeys. Bring plenty of water.
2. Mandai Zoo - well laid out
3. Bird Park - has the largest man made water fall
4. Botanical Gardens - great walks plus there is a really nice French restaurant.
5. Want to check out the locals "doing their thing" - go to West Coast Park - great place for the kids as well (if you have grand kids)
6. Cycling along East Coast Park
7. If you don't want to go too far - there is a large monsoon drain close to where your daughter lives where the locals walk and run. Should see turtles in the river and storks....if you're lucky you might see large lizards (think they're water monitors) in the water.
Electrical and clothes tend to be a good price
1. Sim Lim Square - if you're good at bargaining and looking for PC hardware
2. If you're not there is another place near Sogo (sorry can't remember the name) - prices are still pretty good
3. Get tailor made suits - you can do that in Holland Village
Areas to experience
1. Little India - eat vegetarian curry with your hands. Try a bettle nut - it's what the Indians chew - makes your tongue red (personally I think it tastes gross). Go to the temples - you'll need to remove your shoes before you enter.
2. Arab street - lots of fabric for you to buy plus spices
3. China Town - Bugus Street - great food and cheap shopping - also Chinese temples (if you're into that kinda thing). Whilst you're there try/buy dried pork (red dried meat). Get your trinkets and gifts here.
4. Go across to M'sian - Johor Bahru - eating and shopping is even cheaper there.
5. Could go on a boat ride from Collier Quay - pleasant ride past various parts of Spore plus the Singapore Lion.
Eat what ever type of food. Great sushi places, korean bbq, german, french, steak, whatever.
The following is what you might like to try from the "hawker stalls"
- For noodles - Kway Teo (fried or hor fun) / Hokkien Noodles / Singapore Laksa
- Singapore Chilli Crab (along East Coast is pretty good)
- For something simplier - Duck rice / chicken rice or congee
- Bak-ku teh - kind of like a pork soup with vegetables, rice and chinese tea
- M'sian style dish - Mee rebus, mee siam - have these for breakfast too! Satay - maybe go to the satay club for this.
- Sting ray / poh piah (like a spring roll but not deep fried)
- Pratah (normally have this for breakfast - it's like a fried pancakish + curry)
- Fruit juices - go for the freshly squeezed stuff
- Teh tarek - milky Indian tea with spices that is "tarek" poured from one flask to another before being served.
Get one of the MRT cards - will give you a small discount on buses and trains. Otherwise if you're using it a lot - get an Explorer card for 3 - 5 days.
Okay probably have more to tell you but got to do some work. Have a great time in Singapore and eat well....'cause it's the best thing to do there!