I've tried Facebook advertising for some time with not much success (with no luck actually). I tried Promoted Stories a few months ago and liked it. I am still not really good at measuring the revenue though, so maybe it's just numbers that mean nothing but I seem to get much more clicks and interactions from my promoted stories than from any other types of legit paid traffic.
How about you?
For those who are yet to try Promoted Stories, here's what I know so far:
1. Promoted Stories are designed to bypass Facebook EdgeRank which is designed to show people what they seem to be more interested in. For example, if you never like some page content, you won't be shown it, unless that page pays for promoted stories. In fact, without being promoted, your story will reach no more than 16% of your page fans (on average).
2. Promoted Stories option is only available to pages with more than 400 fans.
3. You can promote stories to your page fans as well as to their friends (the latter option keeps me wondering: how often am I forced to see the promoted stories of my friends' pages even if I personally don't "like" it myself)
“Your promoted posts will be seen by a larger percentage of the people who like your Page than would normally see it,” Facebook noted on its site. “It will also be seen by a larger percentage of the friends of people who interact with your post.”
4. Only new update (no more than 3 days old) is available for promotion
5. Promoted posts appear in fans’ News Feeds with the word “sponsored” at the bottom.
6. There's some rumor now that (once you start paying for promotion) even fewer people will see your update than before (as FB has to encourage more ad spend). I do notice a very low (lower than previously) interaction on unpromoted stories, so I just keep promoting :)
In my business, tourism, these promoted posts have been a really big deal.
In our country there are 4 big national holiday seasons. I've used Google AdWords, & still do, but a couple of months before each local vacation rush I've been using FB.
I have to say it really works well. I have just under 20,000 fans & I use fans + friends of fans. With a very small investment ($15 to $20) once a week the return is huge.
Almost all my fans are national as it's too expensive to reach international markets with FB. There is also a language problem - Spanish/English. All my recent posts have been in Spanish & offers in local currency.