homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Domain Names Forum

Buying domain on redemption status
best strategy to acquire name when dropped

Msg#: 4668916 posted 2:55 pm on May 6, 2014 (gmt 0)

Hi all. I'm interested in a .com domain name on redemption status & currently registered to some kind of digital marketing co. in korea.

It's a personal name and of not much use to anyone else. I need it for an author site.

I'm thinking my best bet to get it is to place a backorder a day or 2 before it drops (rather than contact current owner, try and get them to renew, then buy it from them, which would flag my interest).

a) is this the best strategy?
b) should I place backorders with multiple companies or am I then bidding against myself?
c) any other ideas I haven't thought of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I have never bought a domain before and just need the name, so I can set up the website and get on with writing:)




5+ Year Member

Msg#: 4668916 posted 4:15 pm on May 6, 2014 (gmt 0)

see if the registrar that has the domain uses an auction site for its expired domains.

if that domain is placed on an auction site, that would be the first place to try buying it.


Msg#: 4668916 posted 4:24 pm on May 6, 2014 (gmt 0)

Thanks so much Creeking. I will look into that:)


Msg#: 4668916 posted 2:00 pm on May 7, 2014 (gmt 0)

Hi again

I was in touch with the korean registrar company and had this response:

"Once you let me know the domain name, I will forward your request to current registrant and I can do agency’s duties. But we don’t have function of the auction."

Would you let them know (don't know if they'll hike the price) or wait till it drops?



WebmasterWorld Administrator incredibill us a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

Msg#: 4668916 posted 2:39 pm on May 7, 2014 (gmt 0)

I did this recently and waited until it dropped on Godaddy as I figured the original owner would try gouge me or wake up and re-register the domain so I quietly watched and waited.

Then it went to GoDaddy auctions starting at $10 and I didn't place a bid, I waited and watched.

On the last day with 10 minutes to spare I sniped it for $10 as nobody else had bid.

I was afraid that if I had bid earlier someone would run up the price on purpose and those that really didn't want the domain, like a shill for GoDaddy, wouldn't have time to run up the price if you sniped it.

Got it for $10 and couldn't be happier.

Most I've ever paid for a domain was from the current owner for $1500.

Hope you get it!


Msg#: 4668916 posted 5:29 pm on May 7, 2014 (gmt 0)

That was a great deal - $10!

In this case it seems like it is not going to auction so I would just have to backorder before it drops from the registry and run the risk of another server snapping it up first.

Arrrggh - such a nightmare!

(unless the person who responded doesn't actually have all the facts and it is going to auction). The company is in Korea, so who knows?

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved