|When It Comes to Rejecting Significant Bona Fide Offers for Your Domains|
Have Your Decisions to Reject Offers to Buy Resulted in La De Da De Da or Doh! Moments?
Significant is relevant, so don't be shy.
For me, $$,$$$ is more than chump change but $10K won't alter much in my life. Bills to pay . . Burn rate . . Etc.
Offers of $$$,$$$/$100K and up are a bit more of a challenge to walk away from . . but I recently had to say "no" to such an offer . . because it's just that good of a Web address. (It's already in development.)
After rejecting the overture I had a moment or two of thinking about my decision, but I moved on.
To follow that, last week I did have the unique pleasure - if you're into BDSM - of seeing a domain that I chose to drop subsequently sell at auction for >$2,500. (Things that make you/me go "Hmmmmmm . . ")
So, how's life treating you lately? Holding or folding? Standing firm or buckling at the knees? Recently say "no"? How'd ya feel?
Ever go back and try to regain of affection of a jilted domain lover? (Me? Never. That would be like admitting I was wrong, ya know? Me? Wrong? Whoa! :-/ )
It wasn't recent, but saying "No" to a big offer was one of the scariest things I ever did.
It turned out well ... the would-be buyer eventually made a bigger and better offer.
On the other side of the coin, I was recently privy to a potentially six-figure domain negotiation that fizzled because the owner wasn't willing to show us the stats for parked (type-in) traffic.
I wish I had opportunities to say no to offers of such magnitude... ;)
wolf, it seems no matter what the topic/subject, so much is "relevant, not absolute" - as in "It's nice to make a $$,$$$ sale buttttt . . a fair bit of risk was taken on . . plus considerable cost, in terms of time and money . . and there are long "quiet" (no reasonable offer) periods . . and, they keep changing the playing field, ball and rules . . and . . "
People who suggest there's easy money to be had are usually selling something . . . like a system to make easy money. :-/
All that wisdom/nonsense aside, during the economic downturn it's been very nice to supplement my income with some . . . easy money . . :P (<- tongue, firmly in cheek)
Concommitantly, to say "No" to offers during economic downturns IS it's OWN source of . . *
(*See "and . . ", above, as in I will now insert "and, there's a certain amount of brain perturbing second guessing of one's self from time to time . . ")
So, ain't nobody else (occasionally) thumping themselves on the head, post-saying-NO, and questioning their own . . sanity . . savvy . . rationality . . common sense . . practicality . . ? (You either need to pick better domains, so you get offers, or at least say "No" once in awhile for the sheer perturbation of the experience . . either you or "them" (being perturbed))
This thread is hitting a raw thread with me at the moment.
Regretting a couple of rejections I made to unsolicited offers for 2 domains 6 months ago.Would gladly accept those offers now.
trouble is I get a little too attached the longer I hold a domain.
My best and most lucrative have always been the quick turnarounds.
Interesting thing is of my 4 biggest sales ( 20k to 60k) only 1 of those domains are being used at the moment and that's the cheapest and they recently enquired whether I would buy it back.
Seems like its best to sell when you can.
Thanks web for this post I am in this exact position right now.
What do I do? P
Pretty good opening offer makes me think I will get more. I need the money but hate to lose my 1st domain.
1- I have a zillion different accounts connected to this email address.
2- Kind of my baby girl I have to walk down the isle.
3- Will in another 12 years the name be worth 20 times it is now and hanging on to it is a good
I will make a high counter and see were it goes. Man kida hope they won't take the high offer.
Well deal is done.
I was watching the Pickers show last nite. It is a show about a couple guys going around the country looking for old stuff. Most of what they buy has been hidden for years. A seller made a statement "He got it enjoyed it and now it is time to let it go". This made my mind up.
I don't have the time now for the site. The site is dying a slow death I know that so I decided to let this young guy go with it. He can bring new life into the site and I can continue to enjoy seeing my work live on in the serps.
Just 11 years is over time to open a new book.
Chapter 1 here I come.
"He got it enjoyed it and now it is time to let it go".
I think I know the feeling.
I have a couple of websites, that I think I have taken as far as I can ( Can't keep bluffing my visitors forever. ;) )
They need a fresh and a more authoritative perspective.
Easier to sell when you know the sites are in good hands to carry on their legacy.
|Kind of my baby girl I have to walk down the isle |
^Me^, shedding a tear . . . for your domain/site . . . leaving you to start a new life . . .
A little domainling cooing, babbling and crawling about your office floor?
web u show no mercy. I was having me a moment and you came along and just burst my bubble. Yea I did the floor thing to how u know? Better check my webcam for web bugs. :)
May I make a suggestion. I am in this position so it just might be I am the bumbest D. S. on the planet or it might help another D. S. on down the road.
Don't put your accounts under your beginning domain. Me I blame Webwork for this you should have told me about 11 years ago.
When you get started you really don't know were it might go. I am selling mine but shi- I made one big mistake, and now need to change so many accounts I just wonder what I am goning to miss.
Really it can get serious seeing how I have to go down to the bank to change the email address. Web add that to the list of what not's to do. :)
On the other hand, when you use a non essential domain as your account name, you must remember to keep it renewed!
getting off topic, but...
i just went to help someone who had an email problem that required a new or updated SSL certificate and the confirmation process went through the email address of the admin contact for that domain, which was an email address on the domain in question.
so, yeah - don't do that either...
opps phranque forgot about that, crap, fart, and a few more just renewed mine couple months ago. I am keeping the cart and ssl so I guess I will need to renew it again with a new email address.
cabbie thanks for the congrats. I would say that domain is one I would set at auto renew for sure.