|A Brief Tale of Two $50,000.+ Domain Name Flips in the Past 12+ Months|
| 2:50 pm on Aug 23, 2011 (gmt 0)|
One a .com
One a .org
Both generic, descriptive, highly commercial intent, high market demand/activity. Sorry, but probably no further specifics on this area will be offered.
One a single word domain. One a two word domain. Don't ask which. ;)
One was a so-called "hand reg". (Not a bad day at the office.) The other was acquired during the dot com bust, for a modest sum.
Both deals involved middlemen operating in the domain name acquisition business. Both very professional.
In one case the middleman was a bit less forthcoming about his role but I was able to sniff things out. I usually don't fuss about knowing who I am dealing with as I don't price a deal based upon the buyer's identify. However, I do like having identifying information so I know I am dealing with a person or company that will be able to close a deal. (I recently failed to close another high $$,$$$ deal allegedly due to "cash flow" issues. C'est la guerre.)
In the other the middleman announced his/her presence.
In one case the initial inquiry was by email. No offer, so I ignored it. (Both domains received a number of inquiries so I don't bother responding until I have a concrete and reasonably reliable looking offer.)
In both cases the ball got moving when I received a phone call. In one case I almost didn't pick up the phone since the caller's identity was unknown. In the other, after ignoring a series of emails, a call was left that made a cash offer.
In one case the initial offer was a bit of a low ball, as in "We're testing to see how stupid or desperate you are". Low, but not a total insult low, i.e., thosands of dollars but below 5 figures.
In the other case the middleman expressed his/her ideas as to value. I disagreed. I also wasn't an interested seller as I had already begun significant behind the scenes development.
Both involved mutual NDAs, so don't ask me about the domains, the parties, the broker/middlemen, etc.
Both were cash deals.
Both utilized escrow.
Both deals, as per the NDA, were not reported to the domain name media. Outside the brokerage houses reporting their sales, for no better reason than boosting the perception that they made the sale happen, I'd say most deals are not reported. It remains my belief that good domains sell themselves and that brokerages add little value - outside of also offering escrow services and also sending a clear "this domain IS for sale" message. Either can easily be accomplished without using a domain listing service. However, for many the brokerages - Sedo, Afternic, GD, etc. - appear to be the answer.
Any questions about the process?
| 3:33 pm on Aug 23, 2011 (gmt 0)|
No questions, but I will admit to a fascination with the process and would love to hear any other details you're comfortable disclosing.
| 3:50 pm on Aug 23, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Hmmmm . . . Hard to know what more to (circumspectly) add to the story without knowing what's of interest.
I'd say "risk the questions" and I'll play "sorting hat". ;)
| 4:20 pm on Aug 23, 2011 (gmt 0)|
It seems like you were approached, rather than your seeking them out?
Then how come I never get offers or inquires on my top domains? I've got at least a few that are actual keyword rich domains (i.e. not 8 word long .info's).
| 4:55 pm on Aug 23, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Yes, I was approached.
I hold quite a few "pretty good" domains that haven't received inquiries. I don't actively seek buyers as most of what I hold I hold strictly for (eventual) development.
I think a lot has to fall into place before well qualified / enduser buyers begin to queue up => available funds, risk takers with a vision, some track record of an ability to execute, a sold grasp of internet marketing, etc.
Essentially, it's the market's silence or inquiries that informs us whether we hold the goods that people or companies are interested in. No expression of interest? We may have an overinflated view of what we hold. :( <- Me.
Suggestion: If you think you hold decent quality domains you might suss out interest by putting an asking price on a domain name landing page. At least potential buyers know a) if they have the funds or if your asking price is in their range; and, b) whether your expectations match their view of "realisitic". I suspect a number of folks - possibly buyers in the $1K to $10k range - don't make inquiries because they either have no price guidance from the potential seller . . or they're afraid to make a cold call in a price/value vacuum.