homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Domain Names Forum

Has Anyone Dealt With Nucom Before?
What are the chances of getting ripped off?

 4:36 pm on Jul 21, 2011 (gmt 0)

Howdy, I am currently working on a personal project in my spare time that could well turn into a nice site. I am sure everyone can sympathise with trying to come up with a good name but time and time again finding the domain name which you think would be perfect is taken.

I am interested in a .com that is being held by Nucom. When you hit the domain name it says:

"This .com domain name is for sale. The above web address that you entered to come here is available to purchase.

Prices on our premium domain names start at only $995 (nine hundred and ninety-five US Dollars), inclusive of the escrow fee.

If you would like to receive further information, including the price for this specific domain name, please email.....

From a little research they appear to have alot of 4 letter .coms but I can't find out much more about them. The holding page is awful with alot of book extracts I assume as content for the SEs which isn't instilling me with confidence.

Now I have been around the block a few times so am aware that this is of course risky. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this company or similar? At the end of the day if this is the 'perfect' domain name for me then is it worth going for it and hoping that being protected by escrow is enough?

Any input greatly appreciated.



 10:16 pm on Jul 21, 2011 (gmt 0)


Any questions?


 12:55 pm on Jul 22, 2011 (gmt 0)

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have not used Escrow before but I understand the principle. Your response implies that just because Escrow is the payment method that there is no risk? I find this hard to believe.

I read that there are different escrow companies which hold an escrow licence. In this kind of scenario would it be myself or the company holding the domain name that specifies which escrow company is used?

Much appreciated.


 1:02 pm on Jul 22, 2011 (gmt 0)

If they want to sell and YOU have the money YOU can insist "Deal . . . or NO deal" on using Escrow.com. In the business deal making world you need to have a very strong "I can walk away from this" mindset before entering into a negotiation. Otherwise, don't bother negotiating and just present your terms . . and walk away, if need be. (There is a subtle distinction. One is "the appearance of indifference". The other is necessity, reality, limits or whatever you may call it. YMMV with the approach you choose in any situation.)

I know of no "no risk" human engagement but Escrow.com has never failed me, nor anyone I've come across (as a domainer) in the decade or so since they've been in business. They do a pretty good job of assuring the money is in the bank before saying "transfer the domain".

I don't know about other escrow companies as I tend to stick with what works by experience and by (widely held) reputation. That's not to say there isn't or there shouldn't be room for competition . .


 9:03 am on Jul 23, 2011 (gmt 0)

Thank you - this is really helpful. It is aways nice to get reassurance from someone with more experience in a specific matter.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved