homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Domain Names Forum

I've Been Approached By GD To Buy One Of My Names

 8:39 pm on May 6, 2010 (gmt 0)

Firstly the enquiry is genuine and not a scam.

The name is two generic words which apply directly to my industry but could also to others, I also own the example-example.com as well, it is 13 years old very well-established, well-linked and #1 widget trade portal on the Net. It has thousands of pages with thousands of #1 ranking pages.

GD have asked me if it may be for sale and to either tell them the price or alternatively they will make an offer on behalf of their client.

I assume they are using GD in the hope that they may negotiate a better deal since the ownership details are not hidden.

Realistically I've never even considered this as a "valuable" name with it being generic but at the same time this site generates me many tens of thousands of AdSense revenue a year.

Could I easily move it to another domain name...no problem, getting all the backlinks updated is another matter altogether therefore how do I value this piece of property?

Do I wait until I see their offer and then most probably say, don't be silly, 13 years work at $20k p.a. makes $1/4 mil. to me!

Honestly, I've never sold a name that has such a well-established site on it, any pointers from anyone who has?



 8:50 pm on May 6, 2010 (gmt 0)

Just ask them for the offer. You may get lucky, but from my experience it is going to be something ridiculously low and not worth wasting any time even thinking about.


 9:21 pm on May 6, 2010 (gmt 0)

from my experience it is going to be something ridiculously low and not worth wasting any time even thinking about

That was my initial thought therefore why bother with using GD when they could have been silly themselves?

Hey, it's a big Euro Lottery rollover Friday, maybe my numbers have come up:-)


 2:43 pm on May 7, 2010 (gmt 0)

A broker who presents an offer that fails to exceed my (reasonable?) expectations by at least the amount of the broker's commission is not a broker doing ME a service.

Not to take a dim view of the "domain broker industry" but I'd say that a significant number of those who might label themselves "broker" are doing little more than . . . spamming, i.e., sending UCE (unsolicited commercial email) and/or posting their "brokered domains" in forums that allow the practice.

I've yet to receive an offer from a broker that measured up. I don't "bar the door" but the shine is off offers coming from established entities. In many cases I'm certain the offer is nothing more than a reflection of the brokerage's willingness to work within the limits imposed by the client. One can only hope that brokerages routinely refuse to convey offers where a bit of intelligence would suggest that the offer would be deemed a low ball offer and that delivering such offers might tarnish their reputation.

Does anyone believe or know that the larger brokerages act with guided restraint when delivering offers? In other words, that they understand that if they consistently deliver unacceptable offers then, soon enough, their emails won't be opened?

[edited by: Webwork at 8:17 pm (utc) on May 7, 2010]


 8:03 pm on May 7, 2010 (gmt 0)

I'd probably be inclined to let them send it just for the somewhat rare opportunity of being able to reply with:

LMAO! That's funny...
Please add a minimum of 3 zeros to the right side of your offer before contacting me again.



 9:41 pm on May 8, 2010 (gmt 0)

I hope your boat has come in, who knows, you have to wait and see what they offer you.

I agree with you, if the prospective buyer has gone to all the trouble of approaching you you through an intermediary then the possibility of it being a serious offer suddenly becomes higher.

If I was a company selling widgets and I saw widgets.co.uk as a domain name I would value, then I would not approach you directly, especially if my company name was widgets ltd. That would give the game away immediately and alert you to the value of your domnain to me.

Ask a reasonable price, keep the doors open, remain approachable. Sometimes, six months later, the buyer may make a reasonable offer over and above the initial offer. After all, they have to initially hope you are an idiot and hope you will sell the domain well below its true worth. Later they may become realistic.

Keep us updated on progress. Good luck.


 5:21 pm on May 12, 2010 (gmt 0)

Hahaha...excellent...USD 500.00...hmmm...I don't think so!

Please add a minimum of 3 zeros to the right side of your offer before contacting me again.

2 zeros and we may be talking, anyway, they're too late now I've decided to do redevelop it for Web 3.0 whatever that is!


 8:24 pm on May 12, 2010 (gmt 0)

Glad to hear this Reg story was not about you:

Man sold domain for nominal sum [theregister.co.uk]


 9:54 pm on May 13, 2010 (gmt 0)

Well, the register article made me think twice about not bothering to respond to domain offers anymore. I guess the lesson there is to research like crazy why anyone wants to buy one of your domains.

Maybe those college students and startup wannabes with the stupid low offers are really fronting for more savvy, deep pocket buyers.

Good article and good food for thought, Caribguy.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved