I ***thought*** I came up with this interesting way to build a navigation system with drop down and fly out menus but now that I’m pulling this from the database via php, I’m thinking that maybe I’ve shot myself in the foot instead.
The basic scenario is that I’ve got a mixed order varchar column – designated as the primary key – that looks like this:
This is all fine as I’m inputting the data directly into the table (not via an insert or update), but after I finish hand-editing and then – then save the table and re-open it – that column has now resorted – without me doing anything – to:
I think that you're right about my client interface (Navicat 8) probably has some default sorting routine, but I couldn't find any documentation of same or how to disable it.
Demaestro and LifeinAsia -
Adding an an additional sort field - primary key - does seem the path of least resistance (at least for the time being, as doing this will lead to re-numbering headaches - on the sort field - when nav updates/alterations are needed). However, doing this has solved my initial mystery sorting problem.