|My Wordpress static pages aren't working - please help?|
Homepage works but content pages don't
| 8:34 pm on Oct 31, 2010 (gmt 0)|
Hi, this may be a little difficult to explain without linking to my website, but I know Webmaster World's rules.
Basically, all the "content" or "static" wordpress pages aren't working. When you click them it says "Oops! This page appears to be broken".
I'm not sure if I broke it, or if my host did while doing upgrades to the server.
I asked for help on Wordpress' forums and they said to ask my host to upload a backed up database.
I did this, but it didn't fix the problem and my host says they don't have an older backed up version.
I'm not sure where else to turn or what else to do so I figured I'd ask you fine folks here at WW.
It's possible I broke those pages when I was repairing tables as well.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this?
I'll be happy to PM you my site too so you can see better, if you'd like.
| 2:35 am on Nov 1, 2010 (gmt 0)|
It could be a rewrite problem/permalink problem
Are you able to access your admin area?
| 2:44 pm on Nov 1, 2010 (gmt 0)|
Yes, I can access the admin area.
That's what I heard to, it seems like it might be a mod_rewrite problem.
How do I go about diagnosing/fixing?
| 5:53 pm on Nov 1, 2010 (gmt 0)|
Look under permalinks - make sure they are still enabled and that they match the format that you're using when accessing your posts.
Failing either of those, you'll get Page/Post Not Found on every content page.
| 2:10 am on Nov 2, 2010 (gmt 0)|
Follow ergophobe advice, your permalinks might be the problem.
I had a similar problem once and that was the solution, just also try to download your htaccess file and delete the one on your server, then try again modifying your prefs on permalinks page at WP side. Sometimes no matter what you do, the file doesn't gets updated and the problem persists. Deleting it allows to be recreated when you save your prefs. If you have a backup of that file, try that also. Good luck
| 4:21 pm on Nov 2, 2010 (gmt 0)|
Thanks for your help you guys.
Amazingly, the problem fixed itself.
This leads me to believe it had something to do with my host doing upgrades and they finally re-enabled mod_rewrite or something.
My site was broken for like a week, I didn't make any changes and poof it's fixed.
| 11:48 am on Nov 29, 2010 (gmt 0)|
this type of problem easily solve through wp dashboard-> setting->perma links