I recently signed up for facebook to see what all the buzz was about.
When comparing with myspace, here are some things that I found to be different.
- Design: I really hate the dullness of the main page. Once you log in the site again seemed pretty dull to me, but after using the interface for a while I like the simplicity of it (but I still don't like the front page when you haven't logged in yet).
- feature set seems to be really user friendly and the interface is very intuitive. I found myspace to be very confusing to use when I first joined, and facebook has been pretty straight forward. They have some really user friendly features like the ability to filter private messages for a specific member.
- Privacy features are very well laid out so you can tweak what you want and don't want to be displayed.
- search feature is fast, has the ability to really drill down to find the person you are looking for.
- $$$ gift giving is a really great idea, I know gift giving and profile modifying is big business for that oriental focused social site (forget the name of it).
- Profile pages can't be modified like on myspace to my knowledge, and this really gives the site a mature feeling to it as oppose to myspace.
- facebook also has some interesting advertising options like flyers.
All in all, facebook to me seems much more thought out, and has deeper backend.