| 9:29 am on Aug 22, 2006 (gmt 0)|
| 10:25 am on Aug 22, 2006 (gmt 0)|
How do I turn sessions off?
I've set this one to enabled:
If your server is running via SSL, set this to enabled, else leave as disabled
Is that what you meant? Still don't want to turn the damn thing back on yet!
| 10:45 am on Aug 22, 2006 (gmt 0)|
You may well have various bots getting caught in a loop on the SID's thereby causing the problem.
It's one of a few things to check. The other is to ensure that your copy of phpBB(2?) is patched up to date.
You shouldn't be having this problem - phpBB is fairly light on MySQL. My guess is you've got sesion ID's in your URL's and something is crawling you heavily.
Did you notice a large volume of "guests" viewing the forum?
| 6:14 am on Aug 23, 2006 (gmt 0)|
The server is completely down now despite the fact that I disabled the forum yesterday.
The Admin for the box is also blaming this domain and saying it makes no difference if the domain is still active, I need to move it to another server.
Yes, there are probably quite a few guests, bandwidth is about 25 gig per month.
Couldnt find where to disable SIDs thou.
| 9:10 am on Aug 23, 2006 (gmt 0)|
|The server is completely down now despite the fact that I disabled the forum yesterday. |
It's clearly not the forum then - time to look at other possibilities.
|Couldnt find where to disable SIDs thou. |
Oh well, if there's nothing in the docs then I guess they changed it since I last worked with it.
| 10:06 am on Aug 23, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Thanks for bearing with me on this one, determined to get to the bottom of it.
Server Admin has disabled the domain so I have transfered it.
Now I'm having problems importing the database on the new server as the new system prefixes a "domain_" to the DB and usernames. So when I import it it gives me a "no permission" error as the old DB and usernames were without the prefix.
Any ideas? using phpMyAdmin and the DB is a phpBB on about 12Mb.
| 10:15 am on Aug 23, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Do a full MySQL export of the entire database and include "create tables".
Information on how to do that at the command line is in the MySQL docs - search for "mysqldump".
Or do that via phpMyAdmin. Never heard of anything prefixing table names - that sounds very annoying. Computers should do what you tell them to do.
| 10:59 am on Aug 23, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Ah, just realised, I guess you're on a shared host? Sounds like this prefix thing is the system the host is using to separate user databases.
I would find a provider that gives you full root access - a proper VPS rather than shared hosting.
| 8:37 am on Aug 24, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Just spent the last 4 hours rebuilding all the phpBB tables and DB manually.
Changed the config.php file to match the new names but now just get this:
phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database
No explanation so don't know where to start looking. Help! I know the hosting company is a nightmare but its all we can afford at the moment. I suspect the connection issues are DB user related as in phpMyAdmin it says domain@localhost is the user and "no privileges".
| 9:41 am on Aug 24, 2006 (gmt 0)|
|Could not connect to the database |
That's the explanation.
Yes, likely to be a user/password/priviledges issue.
There should be some guidance in the hosting providers literature....
| 5:48 am on Aug 25, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Its working now, the host fixed the priviliges issue, a little data loss but it seems to be functioning as usual.
Would still like to learn how to disable SIDs incase it occurs again ... though I'm inclined to think it was a DoS attack.
| 6:14 am on Aug 25, 2006 (gmt 0)|
|though I'm inclined to think it was a DoS attack. |
It was likely someone else who was sharing the server with you. I had a similar experience. For one, there are lots of scraper bots out there stressing servers. So the server could have been pooping out on you because of that, or just too many cpu intensive apps running on it.
I disabled gzip, which provided some minimal relief. But ultimately I moved the whole thing to a dedicated server and haven't had a single problem, not one. So it was definitely not the software, it was the shared host.