Is anyone else getting strange reports from Google Analytics over the last couple of days? My site is reporting a zero % bounce rate which I find very difficult to believe – it’s usually about 40 to 50%.
It did coincide with a change in my website – I am using WYSIWYG website program, and usually I paste the old Analytics code at the bottom of the page in the HTML view. However, a couple of days ago I found that the latest version of my web design program can add the Analytics code automatically, so I decided to try that instead.
I am still using the old Analytics code, which I know should be placed at the bottom of the page, but my software places the code in the head of the page (probably because it assumes that I am using the new code). So, I thought I would just try it and see what happens, and Analytics still seems to be receiving the page data.
What I don’t understand is how that could have caused my bounce rate to go to zero. Or is it just a coincidence?
Well it could be that your CMS module for analytics added some kind of event on every page load. When you have an analytics event that fires when a page loads your bounce rate will be 0% because the event counts as an activity.
that may not be the case. If you had event tracking that fired every time the page loaded it would make your bounce rate 0% I don't think that would happen only 95% of the time. Unless you have some event that 95% of users are performing on that page I don't think this is the issue.
I found the problem -- I had the analytics code twice on each page (apart from a few new pages) because I didn't remove the code that I had added manually. Now that I've cleaned it all up, it's back to the more depressing 50% bounce rate...