homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.145.209.77
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Pubcon Platinum Sponsor 2014
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Accessibility and Usability
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: ergophobe

Accessibility and Usability Forum

    
Strange web-server access problem
markwelch

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 3824657 posted 5:22 pm on Jan 12, 2009 (gmt 0)

This is definitely a "flaky" problem which I am unable to solve (and which several other smart people have been unable to resolve).

I am unable to access a specific client's web server, from Windows PCs on my home network connected to the internet via Comcast cable internet.

I am able to view web pages on the client's server using my iPhone while connected to my home network (verified by server logs -- my iPhone access is coming through the Comcast home network IP address, not the Edge network).

I am able to PING and TRACERT from my Windows PCs to this domain, but my http requests are not reaching the server, so they all time out.

I am absolutely baffled by this. There are three computers on my home network: my primary work PC is a desktop using Windows XP with McAfee; there is another desktop using Windows Vista with OneCare; plus a laptop using Windows Vista with McAfee. I've tried using MSIE 7, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome; same result (timeout).

I've tried disabling McAfee; I've tried switching to "DMZ" mode on the router/gateway; I've tried everything that I can think of. The server administrator checked and verified that there is no IP blocking on their end.

We have no indication that anyone else is having trouble accessing this server, which seems to draw a typical ratio of traffic from major sources (geographic, browser type, access type).

Since I can access the server using the iPhone from my home network, it doesn't seem to be IP blocking. Since others can access the web server using a wide variety of browsers, OSs, and networks, it doesn't seem to be an ISP or network issue. Since I can access the server using PING and TRACERT (from a command prompt), it doesn't seem to be a DNS issue.

I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, etc.

 

markwelch

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 3824657 posted 7:51 pm on Jan 12, 2009 (gmt 0)

I finally posted this message after many days of struggling, and I expected many more days of confusion from this problem. But today the Comcast technician solved the problem. He was equally baffled by the strange collection of symptoms, and replicated the problem on his own laptop. Although it didn't seem likely to fix the problem, he went ahead and replaced the gateway with a modem/router combo -- and we could immediately access the site.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Accessibility and Usability
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved